I have been purchasing items from eBay for more than two years now and thought it would be a good idea to share with you some ebay shopping tips based on my experience as a customer. These tips are what I learnt myself, some may not work with you but hopefully some help you to make your shopping more smooth.
I’ll try my best to keep the tips simple and straight to the point!
- Seller/product information: Before you purchase a product, look at the reviews of the product and the ratings of the seller
- Product Currency: You do not want to buy a product in euros when your preferred currency is USD!
- Delivery: If a product does not come within the estimated delivery period, wait a extra week. Some of the items I ordered didn’t come in the estimated period hence, came late. This may be due to shipping delays which is beyond the seller’s control. You should wait a extra week before you contact the seller.
- Be polite: do not message mean messages to the seller.
- Read the product information very carefully before you order a product: I accidently ordered the wrong ipad case because I didn’t check my ipad model properly.
- Faulty product: If your item comes faulty, from that moment take a photo of the faulty good and send it to the seller. They will sort it out. If they don’t, you can contact the ebay team and they can help you sort it out further (if needed).
- Read the product description carefully: This includes information regarding product type, type of material, quantity etc. One of the products I ordered was made of a bad metal which could potentially harm the skin so make sure you read the product description carefully.
- Update Shipping & Payment Details: This includes delivery address, phone number, your name, bank card details.
- Have a paypal account: I am not sponsored to say this but using paypal to pay for my purchases feels safer than giving my bank details directly to the seller. It is like a legal cover if something goes wrong. Paypal provides you protection and it is free, so I think it is worth it.
- Substitute: If something is expensive, try to find a substitute because there are so many sellers on ebay! From my experience, I was able to find a cheaper substitute of a product which I was planning to buy.
I hope these tips were useful for you and inform you how to shop cautiously & successfully.
Originally published on the 27th of August, 2017